Albertsons Produce Procurement Buyer in ROANOKE, Texas
Albertsons Safeway is working to become the favorite food and drug retailer in every market it serves. The organization includes 2,230 stores, 27 distribution facilities and 19 manufacturing plants with over 250,000 employees across 34 states and the District of Columbia. The company is privately owned with supermarkets across the country that include: Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Carrs, ACME, Jewel-Osco, Lucky, Shaw's, Star Market, Super Saver, United Supermarkets, Market Street and Amigos.
The Supply Chain Department has an opening for a Produce Buyer. This position is located in Roanoke, Texas.
Position Purpose: The Buyer, Produce is responsible for the profitable procurement and timely delivery of products for assigned lines. Works closely with the Produce Procurement Manager, Produce Sales Managers, Produce Operations managers and other Buyers to achieve the goals of the company. Provides supply chain/inventory management for a promotionally active produce desk and corresponding financial accountabilities. Procures product in accordance with all policies and procedures established by the company.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Obtain best possible product quality at competitive pricing at all times.
- Ensure that established policies and procedures are understood and adhered to by all Produce procurement staff.
- Strive to meet or exceed inventory turn goals and service levels.
- Interface with other department heads and division personnel to accomplish job functions. Develop and maintain good working relationships with suppliers, store operations, distribution center and division office personnel.
- Reviews acquisition costs to ensure items purchased are at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, reliability of source, and urgency of need.
- Assesses current inventory, growing conditions, seasonality, promotional activity and logistics situation to determine order quantities.
- Completes Purchase Orders and input using mainframe and iTrade functionality.
- Conducts post-promotional reviews and analysis to determine if promotional requirements were met and if there were problem areas, develops solutions.
- Conducts logistics planning processes while ordering products to attain the best net product price possible.
- Reviews and resolves pre-books received from stores or division personnel prior to purchasing.
- Reviews and analyzes daily and weekly reports to check service levels and inventory turns, makes adjustments as needed.
- Visits stores, as needed, to monitor programs, obtain store feedback and to assess overall implementation effectiveness as needed.
- Approves Accounts Payable variance processes for distribution sourced items to ensure correct prices have been invoiced.
- Maintains necessary files and records.
- Coordinates with Warehouse Operations to maintain the proper product flow through the facility, in a timely manner.
- Remote access (buying system) from home or off-site location when necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 2 plus years of Purchasing or Vendor Management experience in the retail industry.
- Retail operations/Marketing experience preferred or strong understanding of store operations and merchandising methodologies and practices.
- Understanding of procurement, logistics and inventory management practices.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, experience in taking initiative and making appropriate decisions.
- Planning and organizing skills.
- Written and verbal communication skills as well as interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective business relationships within and outside the company.
- Computer aptitude with the ability to use spreadsheet and word-processing software.
- Most work is performed under general office conditions in a temperature-controlled environment. Incumbent will use calculators, keyboards, telephones, and other office equipment in the course of the workday.
- Travel Requirements: Less than 5% Travel.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled