Stephen F. Austin State University CHAIR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OR PROFESSOR-Elementary Education in Nacogdoches, Texas
CHAIR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OR PROFESSOR-Elementary Education
Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Please see Special Instructions for more details. The search process will continue until the position is filled, but priority screening will begin shortly after November 9, 2018.
Job Title CHAIR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OR PROFESSOR-Elementary Education
Tenure Information Tenure Track
This is a full-time, 12-month, faculty position responsible for serving as the chief administrator of an academic department or academic school while exemplifying those faculty qualities most valued by the academic community: teaching excellence, scholarly and creative activities, and a commitment to university and community service. Responsible for the development and implementation of department, college and university policy; setting the tone of the academic department through daily interaction with colleagues and departmental staff; and serving as advocate for the department’s needs to the administration and an interpreter of administrative policy to faculty and students. The chair/director is an administrator, the quality of whose performance has fundamental impact on the success of the institution in attaining its specific goals. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the dean.
Essential Job Functions
- Establishes and maintains a departmental climate conducive to the pursuit of knowledge.
- Provides leadership in the establishment and maintenance of a visionary direction and standards for the academic unit, consistent with the college and university mission.
- Serves as an advocate for the department, college and university.
- Assures program quality through evaluation, modification, and development of programs and curriculum.
- Responds to the needs, responsibilities, and requirements of students, faculty, administration, the public and other constituencies.
- Manages fiscal resources by preparing and administering the department budget, maintaining effective and efficient department office procedures, and, where appropriate, coordinating fundraising activities with the college and university.
- Manages and allocates physical resources.
- Establishes, maintains and communicates effective personnel procedures and processes, including recruitment and hiring procedures; evaluation of department members for retention/termination, tenure, promotion, and merit raises; and the promotion of faculty development.
- Promotes the academic unit as a representative to external organizations/activities.
- Assigns faculty workloads and verifies the accuracy of workload reports for each faculty member in the academic department or academic school.
Non-Essential Job Functions
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to learn, university policies and procedures.
- Ability to receive a tenured appointment in one of the disciplines within the department or school.
- Ability to establish and maintain a good rapport with university faculty and staff, students, and the general public.
- Ability to work collaboratively and build strategic relations with colleagues, coworkers and constituents.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.
- Ability to develop objectives, evaluate effectiveness and assess needs.
- Ability to manage a budget and work within the constraints of that budget.
- Ability to develop, interpret, and evaluate policies and procedures.
- Ability to supervise and train others.
Terminal degree in the field of the academic department or academic school, allowing the individual to teach within the department, is required.
Required Experience and Training
Sufficient experience to warrant a tenured appointment in one of the disciplines within the department or school is required. Strong record of research and other scholarly achievements is required.
-Experience in academic administration -Experience in partnerships with school districts related to field experiences and clinical practice -Knowledge of charter elementary school administration -Knowledge of early childhood development facilities administration
Special Conditions for Eligibility
This is a security-sensitive position subject to criminal record check. This is an IT-sensitive position subject to the Computer and Network Security policy.
Programs within the department require strong field and clinical experiences/practicums/internships and reflect our commitment to partnerships with public schools and other agencies. Department programs, undergraduate and graduate, utilize online and face-to-face delivery approaches.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F2018-073
Posting Open Date 09/26/2018
Review Start Date 11/12/2018
Posting Close Date 11/12/2018
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants
The search process will continue until the position is filled, but priority screening will begin shortly after November 9, 2018.
Posting Quick Link http://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/3698
Department Elementary Education
Contact Name Dr. Michelle Williams
Contact Phone (936)468-1597
Contact Email email@example.com
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Which of the following best represents your education background?
Attended school but did not receive High School Diploma or GED
Completed High School Diploma or GED
Completed Associate's Degree or two years of college
Completed Bachelor's Degree
Completed Master's Degree
Completed Doctoral Degree or ABD
If applicable, which field do you hold a degree in?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your experience in collaboration with labs/charter schools and/or public schools.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
Letter of Recommendation