St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Senior Medical Physicist in Lubbock, Texas
Covenant Health is seeking a full time, day shift Senior Medical Physicist with the Radiation JC Department at Covenant Children's Hospital.
The Senior Medical Physicist works independently to ensure provision of safe, accurate, quality radiation therapy services that meet regulatory and licensing standards. The Senior Medical Physicist directly oversees the daily clinical physics operations and provides supervision to the Junior Medical Physicist and Medical Dosimetrists. The Senior Medical Physicist works in conjunction with and appropriately delegates tasks to the Junior Medical Physicist and Medical Dosimetrists to ensure treatment planning tasks and treatment and machine related quality assurance is performed in a timely manner that is consistent with department's protocols and regulatory agencies' requirements.
- Oversees dosimetrists and physicists providing weekly checks of the radiation therapy treatment charts to assure mathematical accuracy, dosage calculation correctness, charting compliance/documentation, and completeness of technical and physics documentation. Develops and reviews charting and calculation standards. Advises Radiation Oncologists concerning implementation of difficult or unusual techniques. Consults, advises, and writes reports in a case of improperly administered radiation.
• Performs, maintains and/or checks all dosimetric standards and quality assurance checks via regular calibration of radiation therapy equipment and treatment planning computers to ensure ± 5% accuracy in radiation dose.
• Verifies accurate completion of daily physics/dosimetry statistics and charge entry following department standards.
• Monitors expenses to ensure cost containment; providing input for operational decision making; actively participates in Quality Assurance program; and, regular attendance at monthly staff meetings.
• Recommends choices of treatment planning computers and radiation therapy treatment equipment for replacement or addition when warranted and assists in design of physical space with respect to radiation safety.
• Oversees the development of new computer applications for radiation therapy when warranted and assists staff in understanding and utilizing new computer applications.
• Responsible for introducing new technology to the department. This includes being part of the procurement process, ensuring that equipment is correctly installed, and providing the needed in service education to those staff members who will be working with the new technology.
• Views x-rays for positions and size of lesions; supervises the making of contour of patient; inputs information into the computer to simulate patient's condition.
• Identifies position of vital structures surrounding lesion and determines areas and amount of radiation received by those areas through the fields.
• Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
• Acts as Radiation Safety Officer for the Radiation Oncology department in compliance with Federal, State, and Medical Center regulations. Reports appropriate medical staff and administrative authorities. Works with Administrator and contractors to ensure that all physical facilities that house radiation producing devices or radioactive materials, provide sufficient shielding to meet Federal and State regulations. Supervises the radiation safety procedures of the department.
• Oversees the following radiation oncology procedures: Stereotactic Radiosurgery, radio pharmaceuticals, LINAC-based Stereotactic Radiosurgery, LINAC-based Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy, LINAC-based Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy, and high-dose-rate brachytherapy.
• Responsible for research-related radiation therapy tasks. Ensures technical requirements, credentialing, quality assurance, and submission of data (e.g., diagnostic imaging, radiotherapy data, records, forms) tasks are performed appropriately and promptly.
• Responsible for the inspection, acceptance testing, and calibration of newly acquired radioactive sources and equipment for radiation treatment and planning.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Master's Degree in Medical Physics, Radiological Physics or related field
Preferred Position Qualifications:
- 3 years of experience in radiation oncology as a clinical physicist or under the direct supervision or a clinical medical physicist.
Licenses and Certifications :
- Licensed by the Texas Board of Professional Medical Physicist in Therapeutic Radiological Physics.
Covenant Health is celebrating over 100 years of serving Lubbock and our South Plains region. As the oldest and largest health system in Lubbock and the region, we currently employ over 5,200 people with a medical staff of over 600 physicians.For over 100 years, Covenant has been driven by a mission of providing a Christian ministry of healing and caring for the whole person - mind, body and spirit. Our vision and differentiator is we are the only faith-based, integrated health network in the West Texas/eastern New Mexico region dedicated to a Christian ministry of healing.As an expression of our mission, we believe we hold an important Covenant with our patients and try and treat every interaction as Sacred Encounters.Our ministry includes six hospitals with over 1,100 licensed beds: Covenant Medical Center - CMC Covenant Children’s Covenant Specialty Covenant Plainview - PLV Covenant Levelland - LVL Trustpoint (joint venture: Rehab Hospital of Lubbock) Covenant Medical Group (CMG) Covenant Health Partners Hospice of LubbockCovenant Health's total service area includes 25 counties that covers most of West Texas and eastern New Mexico. The service area covers approximately 750,000 people and approximately 35,000 square miles.Covenant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Covenant complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Positions specified as “on call, per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Covenant Health
St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health
- St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Jobs