Air National Guard Units POWERED SUPPORT SYSTEMS MECHANIC (Title 32) in Kelly AFB, Texas
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This position is part of the 149th Fighter Wing and is located in Kelly Field Annex, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas. The primary purpose of this position is to accomplish maintenance on electronically controlled powered support equipment containing highly complex digital devices and integrated circuits.
Texas National Guard Job Opportunities
Learn more about this agency
As a POWERED SUPPORT SYSTEMS MECHANIC (Title 32) with the Texas Air National Guard, your duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Responsible for the accurate interpretation of numerous manufacturer drawings, specifications, operating instructions, and test procedures, to troubleshoot, calibrate, align and repair a variety of highly complex pieces of powered support equipment.
- Performs inspections, preventive maintenance, servicing, repair, and adjustments on complex rotary diesel engines.
- Must independently determine work sequences, specifications, and special procedures to be used to fault-isolate and repair unusual problems in various pieces of powered support equipment.
- Performs intermediate-level maintenance on powered support equipment and non-powered AGE. This includes working on cryogenic equipment, engine and generator changes, removing, repairing, and overhauling of accessories, and rebuilding of units.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, overhauls, modifies and operates aerospace ground equipment such as AC and DC power generators, various types of internal combustion engines, air compressors, blowers, hydraulic test stands, cabin leakage testers, portable diesel engine driven generators, emergency lighting units, de-icers, heaters, load banks, hydrostatic testers, cryogenic carts, decontamination units, thermal bath, vacuum pumps, flow meters, lavatory service trailers, air conditioners and various pieces of non-powered AGE.
- Performs maintenance data collection, and prepares other required forms. Maintains Technical Orders, Technical Order Files, commercial technical publications and other directives pertinent to the section.
- Prepares for and participates in various types of readiness evaluation such as ORI, IG and UE inspections, mobility, and command support exercises.
- Participates and assists in conducting the necessary safety program for the Aerospace Ground Equipment activity.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Full description of the PD can be located at the link below: WG-5378-10 NGD0324000
- #### Job family (Series)
5378 Powered Support Systems Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
Appointment Factor(s): This is an Excepted Service position that requires active membership in a compatible military assignment in the Texas Air National Guard and wear of the military uniform. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Texas Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Texas Air National Guard. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a Texas Air National Guard recruiter before applying for this position.
Areas of Consideration:Nationwide Excepted. This includes:
- All currently employed full-time permanent, indefinite and temporary personnel of the Texas Air National Guard.
- All current members of the Texas Air National Guard and individual's eligible for membership in the Texas Air National Guard. Remarks:
- This vacancy announcement is open until filled or until 12/14/2018, whichever comes first. Initial lists of qualified candidates will be created 30 days after the opening date of announcement. Further lists will be referred periodically.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a secret security clearance within 1 year of appointment.
- May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory. MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Military Grades: Enlisted: E-1/AB through E-8/SMSgt
Compatible Military Assignments: AFSC: 2A3X3, 2A6X2, 3E090, 3E0X1, 3E0X2 (2A672 Preferred)
Compatible Military Assignment (per UMD): Applicants need not be assigned to the position or possess the AFSC to apply or be considered; however, applicant must be Duty AFSC assigned to a compatible position in accordance with statutes and National Guard Bureau regulations upon selection.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 12 monthsof experience or training removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing parts, components, and accessories. Experience which provided working knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to powered support equipment and systems; and skill to replace, fit, install, and make adjustments. Experience which provided working knowledge of the makeup and operation of the various individual systems maintained and their interrelationships. Experience reading and interpreting parts lists, manufactures' repair manuals, diagrams, and electrical schematics.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Incentives: Acceptance of a military Federal technician position may result in termination and / or repayment of military incentives. Please check your contract and contact your servicing Education Services (Incentives) office or the Recruiting/Retention office.
Veterans' preference is not applicable to this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
After you submit your application, return to your USAJOBS account to check the status of your application. Status updates are available on your profile dashboard. Your application will be reviewed to make sure you're eligible and meet the qualifications for the position. If qualifications are met, your application will be referred to the hiring official and your status will be updated to "Referred" on your profile dashboard. All other applicants (not being considered) will receive a "Not Referred" status.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics). NOTE: You do not have to respond to the KSA's separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSA's.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of the mechanical and electrical makeup and operation of powered and non-powered support systems including their major components.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your resume should include the following for related positions held:
- Work schedule (ex. Full-time, part-time, intermittent)
- Hours worked per week
- To and From dates (ex. MM/YYYY - MM/YYYY)
- Duties performed
Other supporting documents: If applicable, please submit your most recent SF-50.
Review our benefits
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To preview the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10087223
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documentsto be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
Human Resources Office
TX 149th Fighter Wing 107 Hensley St San Antonio, TX 78236 US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/486880200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 12/15/2017 to 12/14/2018
Pay scale & grade: WG 10
Salary: $21.64 to $25.26 per hour
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time