TD Industries Inc Superintendent in Houston, Texas
Established in 1946, TDIndustries has developed into one of America’s premier Mechanical Construction and Facility Services companies serving clients through the full life-cycle of a facility, to include engineering, construction, operations and maintenance. For 70 years, our employee-owned company has provided innovative services that optimize the performance of world-class mechanical and electrical systems that serve healthcare facilities, hotels, schools, sports arenas, mission critical facilities and industrial complexes and other essential institutions.
Job Summary: Usually supervises multiple jobs. Schedules, coordinates and supervises craft employee activity. Usually involves supervising one or more trade groups (plumbers, sheet metal workers, pipe fitters, instruments and start‑up). Performs other job and Superintendent related duties as required. May report to either a Business Unit Manager or Production Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership, shares technical expertise and experience to other Partners.
- Ensures safety rules, policies, awareness and practices are followed, documented and that corrective measures are implemented. Maintain safety as the number 1 priority at the job site.
- Establishes and adjusts work sequences to meet construction schedules utilizing knowledge of equipment/tools capacities and assigned personnel.
- Eliminates construction and job site hazards as they are recognized to reduce safety incidents and their severity.
- Perform all required safety observations.
- Utilizes app based technology.
- Identify conflicts or need for clarification in contract documents.
- Understands budgets for projects.
- Communicates well with engineers, inspectors, etc.
- Can estimate worker hour requirements to meet the needs of the construction schedule and project budget.
- Monitors manpower schedules to ensure they match project schedules.
- Periodically confirms earned value of work and correctness of Forecasted Percent Completions.
- Provides material takeoff, estimate and pricing for changes to work scope.
- Understands and adheres to all construction processes designed to help complete projects safely, with a high standard of quality with expected productivity.
- Must understand and practice Quality/LEAN principles (pull planning, six-week look ahead, value mapping, constraint logs, etc.).
- Assists in resolving construction problems (lack of productivity, work interfaces, required manpower, etc.).
- Advises senior level supervision and project management of potential problems, work interferences, schedule difficulties, etc. Assists in circumventing/resolving such problems as required.
- Maintains liaison with other departments, (i.e., Purchasing, Quality Control, Engineering, etc.) to insure all required materials, equipment, inspections, etc., support craft activities and project schedule.
- Periodically inspects work in progress and completed work to insure conformance to specifications.
- Supervises craft activities that includes determining means and methods of construction, manpower levels, material quantities, equipment, work schedules and documenting actual hours worked.
- Conducts pre-job and continuing planning meetings to ensure all project team members understand contract terms and conditions, clauses, schedules or any unusual requirements of the project.
- Must be competent in evaluating and delivering performance conversations and growing employee careers.
- Conducts timely, complete and meaningful performance management conversations.
- Review and verify all coordination drawings are correct with accurate field applications.
- Identifies, maximizes and communicates all prefabrication opportunities.
- Must have basic interviewing skills.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, coordination and/or BIM drawings, submittals, specifications, details and job orders.
- Perform a variety of duties which may often change; repeat tasks of short duration according to a set procedure and work within precise limits and standards of numerical accuracy.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, delegate and control the work process.
- Must be able to develop and maintain both internal and external working relationships.
- Have strong interpersonal and people skills.
- Have strong written and oral communications skills.
- Must have computer skills and adapt to technology.
- Should have math skills.
- Clearly superior in the mechanical/plumbing trade.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to plan both short term and long term.
- Get things done by practicing excellent prioritization and making good decisions on where to focus attention.
- Performs as a self-managed individual.
- Ensure understanding and adherence to TD’s policies and procedures as stated in the TD Policy Manual.
- Should have strong negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of building construction, materials, systems, market conditions and trade practices.
- Understand and models TD’s Core Values, which are:
- Build and maintain trusting relationships.
- Fiercely protect the safety of all partners.
- Lead with a Servant’s Heart.
- Passionately Pursue Excellence.
- Celebrate the Power of Individual Differences.
Education and Experience:
- Must have minimum seven (7) years’ experience in commercial mechanical/plumbing contracting with a minimum of three (3) years as a foreman or similar function.
- Possesses associated licenses and/or certifications required by trade for the position (ie. Journeyman’s license for plumbers).
- Supervisory Recommendations:
- Must be able to manage multiple projects of up to twenty five (25) Partners, total.
- Must be able to directly supervise up to five (5) Partners.
- Must be able to indirectly supervise up to twenty five (25) Partners.
This description identifies the responsibilities and tasks typically associated with the performance of the position. Other relevant duties and responsibilities may be required at any time in order to meet business and organizational needs.
We invite you to come see what makes us great! Join us in our dedication of making a positive impact on our communities and work with an amazing team where you will be given the opportunity to develop your career.
Our people oriented company offers great pay and a comprehensive benefit plan that includes health & wellness benefits, paid training & education, paid time off, paid holidays, income protection, retirement and employee ownership opportunities.
TDIndustries is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, gender, disability or protected veteran status
Location: Houston, TX