University of Texas Rio Grande Valley DEAN SCHOOL OF MEDICINE in Edinburg, Texas
Working TitleDEAN SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Number of Vacancies1
DepartmentSchool of Medicine
Scope of Job
The Dean serves as the chief academic officer for the UTRGV School of Medicine and is responsible for all aspects of leading and managing the School and creating a culture that is committed to serving the best interests of the Rio Grande Valley, its students, patients, families, and varied stakeholders.
The Dean has full executive responsibility for matters relating to the faculty, including appointments, salaries, effort, incentives, performance, and evaluation. In conjunction with the President, he/she will be responsible for devising clinical strategy and leading clinical growth, developing and advancing educational programs of the highest caliber, further expanding research and partnering with the greater Rio Grande Valley community. He/she will be responsible for leading an outstanding leadership team, including chairs, key faculty, and senior administrators and for shaping a vision to guide the future of the School. This critically important senior leadership position in academic medicine requires a dynamic individual with a comprehensive understanding of the SOM’s four missions and the numerous challenges facing academic health centers in today’s environment. Outstanding strategic communication and diplomacy skills are essential. The Dean must be creative and decisive, but also a consensus builder with demonstrated success in a complex, multi-faceted academic medical environment.
Description of Duties
• Effectively and efficiently provides leadership and direction to the academic, clinical, and research programs and centers that fall within the School.
• Sets a vision for the future of the School of Medicine that furthers the support of diverse teaching and training programs while maintaining clinical excellence in care and outreach services.
• Responsible for all strategic plans and implementation, budget, finance, school capital assets, partnerships, and philanthropy for the School in coordination with the EVP for Advancement.
• Plays a key leadership role in ensuring student success by requiring excellent and ongoing academic and student support services designed to increase retention and graduation rates while maintaining the highest standards of academic excellence.
• Plays a central role in faculty leadership, directly managing the department chairs, Vice Deans, and other senior leaders.
• Represents the SOM to all external audiences, e.g., other health practitioners, community partners, industry stakeholders, prospective students and families, high school and college advisors, and donors.
• With broadly delegated authority, furthers UTRGV’s mission by expanding resources, strengthening regional, national, and global connections, and building collaboration between School of Medicine disciplines and across the University.
• Builds alliances with healthcare affiliates and government agencies on a local, national, and international level to solidify and maintain connections with strategic partners.
• Responsible for meeting all school accreditation standards, student recruitment and retention, hiring, fundraising, teaching, research, long-term planning, curriculum, and assessment development.
• Maintains awareness of political activities, current and proposed legislation, changing economic and demographic environment, and overall business climate affecting UTRGV and applies this insight to institutional needs.
General supervision from the President.
Direct supervision of assigned staff and faculty.
Recognized achievement in clinical, educational and/or research pursuits that would warrant appointment as a tenured full professor; M.D. or M.D./Ph.D. and appropriate board certification required, with additional degrees, certification, or licensure desirable.
Progressive and broad administrative leadership experience at the departmental, institute, or central administrative level at an accredited medical school, specifically including service as a department chair within an academic institution, and encompassing experience with accreditation bodies, clinical supervision/leadership, research oversight, and areas of external regulatory compliance; leadership experiences should demonstrate innovation, care for faculty, staff, students, and patients, and wise use of resources.
Management experience in the administration of medical schools, e.g., issues related to budgets and grants management, research development, and the operation of the clinical enterprise/health system and educational-clinical partnerships.
Successful experience recruiting, developing, and mentoring high-performing individuals and teams.
Commitment to Equality
Evidence of strong commitment to advancing institutional initiatives in equity, inclusion, and diversity.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment across the Rio Grande Valley.
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES
The next Dean will possess the ability to understand and thrive in a highly relationship- and consensus-driven organization. Key elements of a successful approach will include:
• Balancing numerous competing needs to make the best strategic and tactical decisions for the SOM ;
• Working diplomatically with all stakeholders to reach compromise solutions;
• Engaging with leaders and representatives of the School’s critical institutional partners;
• Communicating with a variety of audiences with the enthusiasm to be an effective spokesperson for the SOM and partner in development activities, public representation, and community engagement with external stakeholders;
• Maintaining positive and productive relationships with alumni, state and national medical professional organizations, and other institutional supporters and partners; and
• Promoting the consideration of diversity and inclusion in all SOM initiatives and championing diversity in health care delivery, scholarship, leadership, and education.
In a dynamic and evolving environment, the Dean must lead with a bias for action and accomplishment, developing and implementing strategies that advance the mission of UTRGV by:
• Developing a clear vision and strategy consistent with UTRGV’s mission and best practices;
• Encouraging innovative approaches to transforming medical education and graduate training, e.g. curricula, technologies, and teaching/learning methodologies;
• Encouraging the growth and further development of research that supports the innovative, multidisciplinary culture of UTRGV and further integrates the research enterprise with clinical services; and
• Contributing as a senior leader of UTRGV .
Within a young, developing, and entrepreneurial culture, the Dean will inspire, motivate, and hold accountable the School’s leadership team and colleagues, stakeholders, and influencers throughout UTRGV by:
• Motivating individual team members, empowering them to initiate projects or strategic objectives, and taking on ownership of leadership roles based on insight into individual motives and ability;
• Providing vision, leadership, and management for the academic and research enterprises;
• Setting clear expectations for faculty contributions in collaboration with clinical partners;
• Demonstrating interest and aptitude in individual mentorship while developing cohesive teams that leverage individual skills for a better collective outcome; and
• Setting a personal standard and institutional expectation of the highest integrity and ethical behavior.
Minimum SalaryCommensurate with Experience
Posted SalaryCommensurate with Experience
Position Available Date09/01/2021
Grant Funded PositionNo
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
How to Apply:
Spencer Stuart, an executive search firm, is assisting The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley in this confidential search. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to:
Raquel Lentnek, Senior Associate
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check ( CBC ). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
List of 3 References
Reference Letter 1
Reference Letter 2
Reference Letter 3
Unofficial Transcripts 2
Unofficial Transcripts 3
Letter of Interest
Certifications and Licenses
Unofficial Graduate Transcripts