Overland Contracting, Inc. Resident Construction Inspector Tunnel in Dallas, Texas
Resident Construction Inspector Tunnel
Black & Veatch delivers design, procurement and construction solutions that help to provide safe drinking water and effective wastewater management to communities worldwide. We serve public and private clients of every size with a strong focus on life cycle economy, efficiency and reliability.
We find innovative solutions to protect water at its source, treat it to the highest standards, and deliver it to homes and businesses. Then we collect and treat wastewater before reintroducing it safely back into the environment.
Serves as a construction inspector who may report to senior inspection staff on a moderately complex medium or a large construction project; civil works, underground pipelines, pumping stations, and plants. Duties may include project controls administration. May provide direction to other inspection staff.
This project will have a heavy focus in tunnel work throughout Dallas. Ideal focus will be civil or mechanical.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Anticipates daily and upcoming construction activities, and prepares accordingly; may give direction to other inspection staff
• Provides drawing and specification interpretations with little direction
• Reviews and analyzes contractor’s project schedule with direction
• With limited direction, interprets contract documents for QA/QC
• May assist with limited direction in evaluating change requests, claims, and cost proposals from contractor; coordinates responses with the project manager; and prepares change orders. Monitors and reports on pertinent site conditions when contractor indicates unforeseen subsurface or other changed conditions.
• Assists with logs and tracks all issues, proposed changes, change orders, and claims.
• Performs administrative duties related to project controls in the absence of admin staff
• Inspects complicated construction activities with little or no direction
• Documents field observations
• Resolves minor construction issues in the field with contractor foreman
• Observes B&V’s safety policies
• Can process contractor pay application, respond to simple RFIs, and coordinate complex interpretations with engineer
• May begin to provide direction to other field staff
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Associate's degree in a construction-related discipline or craft apprenticeship preferred. 5+ years related field experience preferred. Certifications for concrete, compaction and civil tests preferred.
• Strong attention to detail
• Geotech or Underground Background preferred
• Tunneling background preferred
• Basic knowledge of plans and specifications
• Basic knowledgeable of project controls and effect on time, cost, quality and communication
• Intermediate communications skills, both written and oral
• Basic understanding of heavy construction
• Basic ability to read contract drawings and knowledge of specifications
• Basic problem identification and resolution skills
• Knowledge of project control system
• Basic understanding of administrative & project policies and procedures
• Intermediate skills in construction QA/QC and coordinating with design staff
• Basic knowledge of National and International Building Codes (IBC) and standards
• Basic supervisory skills
Overland Contracting Inc. (OCI), a Black and Veatch subsidiary, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. OCI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.