Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Administrative Assistant in Bonham, Texas
The position is located in Sam Rayburn Memorial Veterans Center in Bonham, TX central mail room where all incoming and outgoing mail is sorted to approximately 150 delivery points within this medical center. Incumbent is responsible for the accurate handling of all incoming mail from the USPS in accordance with USPS Regulations, VA Regulations as well as VAMC policy. When necessary, opens items and read enclosures, etc. to determine the proper action office and Medical Center Service.
Learn more about this agency
The Primary Purpose of the Position is: To use multiple office automation software with varied functions to produce a wide range of documents; and, to provide miscellaneous clerical support. The organizational location of the position is located in the Mail and Reproduction section of the Medical Administration Service, Bonham, TX.
The following is a list of required skills and characteristics considered essential assignment attributes::
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows programs and must be able to utilize functions such as tables of contents, graphics, creation of glossaries, columns and tables, and chart creations.
- Knowledge of metered mail process and mail delivery
- Knowledge of US Postal Regulations and mail routing symbols
- Knowledge of VA regulation and station policies governing mail operations
- Skill in operation of PC to accurately and neatly present information in the proper format
- Knowledgeable in spelling and grammar, medical terminology, CO formats and routing for proper signatures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information in all matters. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as clerical support for the Medical Administration Service.
- Answers telephone and personal inquiries and provide required information and /or assistance or makes referral to the appropriate staff members for assistance
- Prepares and distributes copies of documents and materials used by the facility including memorandums, reports of contact, cascade call list, procedure and protocol handouts utilizing MS office for windows.
- Provides data entry for all programs and/or documents used or distributed by MAS including but not limited to Vista and MS office Software.
- Performs typing and filing, prepares materials for publication such as pamphlets, certificates, forms, graphs, technical manuals or comparable items.
- Coordinates prioritization of work to assure that work is completed in a timely manner.
- The primary function of the position requires the employee to perform all mailroom and clerical duties required to support the service. Work Schedule:Day Shifts Monday- Friday 7:30am - 4:00pm Telework:Not available Virtual:This is not a virtual position. Position Description/PD#: #549-9304-A Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:Not authorized Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
- #### Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Submit a current SF-50 (2018)
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 11/01/2018.
THERE ARE NO TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENTS AT THIS LEVEL
Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/indexes/alph-ndx.asp.
You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below: * Specialized Experience:You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-4 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: knowledge of the basic foundation of administrative concepts, principles and practices sufficient to perform independently the following duties: scheduling appointments, coordinating meetings, and/or scheduling conferences; processing incoming and outgoing materials such as correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other forms of written communication; performing work that includes managing office files and filing, developing plans or schedules to eliminate duplication of work and determines when new office procedures are needed; performing clerical and technician work that results in the bi-weekly or monthly determination of pay for civilian employees to include examining human resource actions, pay changes, and employee requests to insure accuracy of data submitted to payroll; supporting committees, boards, councils and conferences serving as the principal liaison for administrative coordination; developing recommendations and proposals to include preparing briefing materials for the supervisor's presentations to staff and contacts outside the organization/agency. OR, * Education: Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have 4 years above high school. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school.* OR, * *Combination: Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. You must have an combination of specialized experience and education. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Organizational Awareness
- Technical Competence
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements:The work is sedentary. May require some walking, standing, bending, climbing stairs, and carrying and/or lifting of light items such as papers and books. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.Is is performed in a typical office setting, requiring the use of normal safety precautions necessary for an office environment. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Narrative responses are not required at this time. If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
Current SF-50 (2018)
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference.For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.To apply for this position, you must complete the questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 11/01/2018 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10331752.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USA JOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package. NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Application page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact for information on how to apply.
Agency contact information
Dallas VA Medical Center 4500 South Lancaster Road Dallas, TX 75216 US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513696300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/12/2018 to 11/01/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 5
Salary: $35,718 to $46,435 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time