Lamar University Client Computing Specialist I #498379, #499610 in Beaumont, Texas
Posting Number 20112114
Position Title Client Computing Specialist I #498379, #499610
Position Type Staff
Department Client Computing Services
Job Summary/Basic Function
Support client computing systems in workplaces, classrooms, and labs to enable efficient and effective use of information technology resources. Troubleshoot computing issues in a timely and accurate fashion and provide customer training and assistance as required. Assist with operational improvements through development of standards and procedures for managing client computing technology efficiently. Provide support for the use of multimedia and audio visual technology in the classroom and at special events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Install, diagnose, maintain, and repair a variety of software and hardware, including workstations, mobile devices, and networked peripherals.
• Package, test, troubleshoot and repair software installations.
• Recommend, schedule, and perform client computing hardware and peripheral equipment improvements and upgrades.
• Research, evaluate and recommend solutions that will increase efficiency, reduce cost, and improve service.
• Develop and follow standard operating procedures for managing client computing.
• Install, troubleshoot, and resolve issues with classroom audio visual equipment.
• Accurately receive and record client computing problems and questions reported by university community.
• Maintain records and supplies associated with assignment.
• Work collaboratively in teams on a variety of projects.
• Establish and maintain effective communication with customers, other technology specialists and vendors.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Technical Skills required:
• Working knowledge of current operating systems including Windows and Mac OS, Microsoft Office, printers, basic multimedia systems and e-mail applications.
• Technical knowledge of networked and stand-alone PC and MAC software, Windows registry, file systems and basic network concepts.
• Knowledge of basic computer troubleshooting techniques for Windows and MAC OS.
• Ability to listen to customers, and quickly analyze, identify root cause, and resolve problems using creative solutions.
• Read and understand technical manuals and procedural documentation.
• Conduct research on computer issues, technologies, and products to identify and recommend innovative solutions.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Prioritize and manage time effectively.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Ability and willingness to work cooperatively with a diverse population.
• May be required to move and lift materials and equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
Education and Experience:
• Associates degree in related area with at least two years of relevant experience.
• A combination of education, experience, and training that would produce the required knowledge and abilities could be considered.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.
• Professional certifications such as CompTIA (A+, Network+), Microsoft ( MCSA , MCITP , etc.) or HDI (Desktop Support Technician or Support Center Analyst) preferred.
• Experience with enterprise endpoint management solutions, such as Dell KACE , Microsoft SCCM , IBM Endpoint Manager, CFEngine, LANDesk, Altiris etc.
• Experience in the use of Microsoft Active Directory or other directory service, including group and object management, policy tasks, access control and authorization.
• Experienced using scripting languages & batch files to automate tasks.
Security Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Posting Date 05/04/2021
Open Until Filled Yes