Lamar University Associate Director, Compliance & Operations #499388 in Beaumont, Texas
Posting Number 20112143
Position Title Associate Director, Compliance & Operations #499388
Position Type Staff
Department Student Financial Aid
Job Summary/Basic Function
JOB SUMMARY :
Reporting to the Director of Scholarships, Financial Aid and Veteran Affairs, the Associate Director is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the operations and compliance staff. This position will provide training to see that each employee receives adequate education in all state and federal regulations. The Associate Director is responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance of all federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs as well as assist with fiscal compliance efforts. The Associate Director will assist in the development of new policies and procedures to match regulations for scholarship and financial aid programs.
Furthermore, the Associate Director will evaluate problem areas in the operations unit, make changes to the office processes in order to address these issue, and have continuous evaluation to ensure efficiencies and compliance is achieved.
PRIMARY DUTIES :
• Tasks are accomplished by hiring new employees; performance evaluations; training new employees; addressing personnel decisions for direct subordinates and those under subordinates.
• Monitors regulatory and administrative requirements for Title IV federal student aid programs, identifies regulatory changes and systematic problems, may survey other colleges for responses, and briefs the executive director and director of recently adopted regulations with respect to Title IV aid and state aid programs along with proposed solutions including plans, recommendations, and timetables for effectively implementing changes appropriately both for compliance and administrative effectiveness for Lamar University (LU). Alerts staff to proposed changes.
• Creates, coordinates, and publishes an internal standard operating procedures ( SOP ) manual for each area and specific function within the operations and compliance until and updates/communicates changes to assure compliance with regulatory and administrative requirements for Title IV federal student aid programs.
• Provides training to direct reports and related staff on updates and issues with respect to state and federal financial aid programs.
• Assists in the management of the day-to-day operations of assigned areas.
• Works with director to ensure Banner is configured in a manner that is compliant with federal, state, and institutional regulations.
• Establishes monitoring and reviewing controls to ensure adherence by staff to the code of federal regulations with respect to Title IV federal student aid and state regulations regarding state financial aid programs.
• Provides subject matter expertise for all related training.
• Develops and ensures federal and state compliant content for financial aid websites and assists in the coordination of the relevancy, usefulness, and accuracy of information on other LU websites related to financial aid, and ensures overall compliance with federal consumer protection and disclosure requirements.
• Performs random quality assurance testing on process financial aid files.
• Participates in local, regional, and national financial aid organizations to stay abreast of all regulatory changes.
• Participates in the data gathering and coordination for a successful annual financial aid audits, may serve as the lead representative for the FAQs during reviews, and assists in post-audit responses.
• May serve as a back-up liaison with the US Department of Education and assist the director in other duties or projects.
• Monitor Veteran certifying official for institutional processing of military and Veteran educational benefits. Will ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
• Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Minimum three years’ work experience, preferably in financial aid, and/or finance, including one year supervisory experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Able to effectively and proactively network with all university professionals
• Competency and proficiency using technology
• Awareness of and sensitivity to issues relating to a diverse student body
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
• Four years of financial aid experience preferably in higher education or compliance including one year supervisory experience
• Master’s degree preferred
• Extensive financial aid knowledge of Title IV and state aid regulations
• Experience with Ellucian Banner database
Security Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Posting Date 06/10/2021
Open Until Filled Yes