Teacher Retirement System of Texas Health Benefits Counselor in Austin, Texas
The Health Benefits Counselor performs routine to complex health and insurance benefits counseling work in an on-the-job-training environment. Work involves providing customer service, counseling, and technical assistance to TRS health plan participants; assisting with preparing reports; and participating in department and/or agency activities. Works under moderate to general supervision with limited to moderate latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This positionis located in downtown Austin and reports to the Manager of Health Benefit Counseling.
Starting salary not less than $2979.79 monthly.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively participates in the TRS Health Benefits Counseling training program.
- Responds by telephone or written correspondence to inquiries from retirees, members, school districts, agency staff, and other interested parties regarding TRS-Care, TRS-ActiveCare, or Optional Insurance program requirements and associated agency laws, rules, policies, procedures, and systems.
- Reviews requests and assists in researching member, retiree, vendor, and/or employer records for exceptions to TRS-Care and TRS-ActiveCare enrollment status, and documents all findings and actions taken.
- Obtains or provides needed information to members, retirees, employers, and/or vendor representatives by phone, in person or in written form.
- Processes routine requests for enrollment.
- Conducts reviews and analysis of benefit account records that are associated to individual research requests, or as a result of system exception reports.
Drafts letters to members explaining final resolutions of formal enrollment and eligibility appeals. Reporting
Assists with reviewing, compiling, and entering data into spreadsheets, databases, and other automated applications.
Assists with preparing periodic and ad-hoc reports based on data and other relevant information. Department / Agency Activities
Provides back-up and assistance to other team members.
- May participate in special projects as assigned.
- Performs related work as assigned. MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS/LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
High school diploma or equivalent Training
Required to successfully complete the TRS Health Benefits training program and new hire probation period. Experience:
One (1) year of full-time experience in health insurance administration, claims processing, fundamental accounting, benefit processing, call or contact center, or a customer service-related position involving interpreting, applying, and communicating complex laws, regulations, and policies.
- Preferred education may substitute for the above required experience.
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Recent experience in the group health insurance industry.
- Experience conducting in-person interviews and/or counseling sessions or in providing in-person customer service regarding group health insurance.
- Knowledge of federal and state related laws, regulations, policies, procedures, and systems.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Veterans / Military Crosswalk:
TRS is committed to maintaining a veteran-friendly workplace and attracting, developing and retaining military service members as employees. To assist in determining whether your military experience may relate to the minimum qualifications for this position, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes from each branch of the armed forces have been assigned to each state classification title where applicable.
Depending upon actual duties, the following fields may pertain to the minimum qualifications of this position. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for this position are highly encouraged to apply.
- Army Military Occupational Codes – Enlisted: 15P, 36B, 42A, 56M, 68J, 88H, 88N, 89A, 89B, 92A, 92Y. Officer: No Military Equivalent.
- Navy Ratings and Designators – Enlisted: AZ, LS, MC, PS, RP, SN, YN. Officer: 641X, 741X.
- Coast Guard Ratings – Enlisted: YN, 360. Officer: 018.
- Marine Corps Occupational Codes – Enlisted: 0100, 0111, 6046. Officer: 0102, 0170, 4430.
- Air Force Specialty Codes – Enlisted: 3A1X1, 8A200. Officer: No Military Equivalent. Please contact the TRS Human Resources Department or the TRS Veterans Liaison with questions or for additional information.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be found at: http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- General health insurance terminology and definitions.
- Benefits and State of Texas laws, policies, rules, and procedures. Skill in:
- Interpreting and applying complex laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Planning, organizing, and prioritizing work assignments to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced and changing environment; and completing detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Analyzing problems and devising effective solutions.
- Using a computer in a Windows environment with Microsoft Office word processing, spreadsheet, and database software.
- Effective written and verbal communications, including explaining complex information to others in an understandable manner; and writing clear and precise policies, procedures, and correspondence.
- Providing quality customer service Ability to:
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
- Work effectively in a professional team environment.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires:
- normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies;
- marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements;
- constant use of personal computers, copiers, printers, and telephones;
- the ability to move about the office to access file cabinets and office machinery;
- frequent sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position; and
- the ability to work under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
Must be able to:
- regularly, reliably, and punctually attend work;
- work extended hours as necessary;
- travel occasionally for work assignments and trainings;
- show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments and work schedules;
- adhere to the agency's internal management policies and procedures; and
- exhibit work behaviors consistent with agency core values.
Salary: See Position Description
Location: Austin, TX
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Health & Insurance Benefits
Job Number: 19-000091
Closing: 4/3/2019 5:00 PM Central
Agency: Teacher Retirement System of Texas
Address: 1000 Red River Street Austin, Texas, 78701