Bottle Rocket® Senior Vice President of Experience Design (XD) in Addison, Texas
ABOUT Bottle Rocket:
Bottle Rocket has been a thought leader at the intersection of transformative technology and business innovation since our inception in 2008. Headquartered in Dallas, we design and develop experiences for the Connected Customer that produce undeniable value for many of the world’s most distinguished brands. Our more than 450 award-winning experiences have set new standards in connecting people to what they want and are transforming how our clients compete and win in the marketplace. Bottle Rocket is a strategic partner within the world-wide WPP integrated communications network. To learn more, visit us at bottlerocketstudios.com.
ABOUT working for Bottle Rocket:
Bottle Rocket is a rapidly growing specialist at the forefront of connected device revolution. Our team is comprised of mature, self-motivated professionals who bring passion to their craft. We do what it takes to get the job done, but never stop trying to improve ourselves and our services. By day, we sweat the details and build awesome mobile and digital experiences – and our passion doesn’t end there. After hours, we’re those people standing in line for the latest technologies and attending industry meet ups searching for more knowledge. Bottle Rocket not only exceeds standards – we set new ones (and have fun while doing it).
We take pride in our employees and their future. We have repeatedly been named to the Dallas Business Journal's Best Places to Work, The Dallas Morning News Top 100 Places to Work, and the Inc. 500. Our work has won an unprecedented number of Apple Hall of Fame awards, among many other industry recognitions. We have also been featured in Forbes as one of America’s Most Promising Companies. And our Founder and CEO was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year for our region.
It’s our duty to stay at the forefront of what’s next, and in our world, that means continuous innovation. It’s more than just a buzz word. It’s our day to day and the heartbeat of our Rocketeers. We believe innovation is the result of curiosity and the desire to make a difference. Innovation is a strategic imperative we use to deliver relevant offerings to help our clients stay ahead of the competition. Innovation that rapidly turns into execution is our strength.
With tens of millions of users interacting with our work every day, Bottle Rocket’s future promises continued growth in all areas of our business. If you are passionate about what you do and having fun while doing it, Bottle Rocket may be the place for you.
To learn more, visit us at bottlerocketstudios.com.
ABOUT This Position:
Bottle Rocket is a systems thinking, design-led company deeply committed to making things that matter, while leading from a mindset that is both active and reflective. We believe that it takes integrated action and open reflection to successfully respond to the adaptive challenges that surround us and to produce the preeminent business success that sustains our brand and enables Bottle Rocket to set the bar in the connected lifestyle ecosystem.
Bottle Rocket’s Senior Vice President of Experience Design is a leader who is internally committed to understanding people, business, technology, and clients. But this key Bottle Rocket leader is much more than that. This leader is a vision caster who collaboratively works with other leaders to optimize the whole of Bottle Rocket, while using business acumen and design expertise to help change how others think; gains commitment and cooperation from disparate groups; and shares a vision of success that inspires the hearts and minds of all our Rocketeers.
The SVP of XD’s professional mission is to use design and business expertise to influence individuals, teams, and enterprises—while helping inspire, shape and integrate ideas, processes, journeys, and environments.
This senior leader reports to the Executive Vice President of Solutions and Delivery and is a member of the Solutions and Delivery team of leaders which includes engineering and quality assurance.
As a practitioner with exceptional balance between optimism and realism, the Bottle Rocket’s SVP of XD understands brand and the power of brand equity and understands what society wants. The SVP of XD teams with other senior Bottle Rocket leaders to translate what is relevant for society into what is relevant for Bottle Rocket’s ecosystem, business model, operations, crafts, market approaches, and client outcomes.
The SVP of XD strengthens Bottle Rocket’s practice of leadership and is a gifted leader of teams of teams. This leader supports, inspires and challenges multiple cross-functional small groups as Bottle Rocket builds momentum toward the essential goal of helping all Rocketeers, our connected communities and society as a whole thrive in a constantly changing, increasingly turbulent, world.
Bottle Rocket’s SVP of XD joins the senior team as Bottle Rocket begins its second decade—with an exceptional window of opportunity for Bottle Rocket’s designers to enable design to be more integrated across Bottle Rocket’s entire business system and model. At the appropriate time, a new role will emerge, the Chief Design Officer, and this role will be modified accordingly.
Under the leadership of the SVP of XD all of Bottle Rocket has the potential to be unleashed in pursuit of increased creativity. At the same time, experience designers are highly motivated to be WITH every Rocketeer, and lead the way forward in the use humility, patience, and empathy—as they help all Rocketeers expand our abilities to be inclusive, while working with others in designing the path toward sustainable, long term Bottle Rocket success.
The SVP of XD brings a new capability and a new mindset to Bottle Rocket’s strategic commitment to integrating design thinking and innovation into Bottle Rocket’s business system, operating model and continued cultural evolution. This new mindset is certainly design-focused and people-centric, with an inclusive perspective on consumers, users, clients, and strategic partners. Leveraging the typical tools of the design community in order to create engaging, relevant and unique experiences for Connected Lifestyles.
Everything Bottle Rocket does is focused on enriching Bottle Rocket’s connected lifestyle market offering and how we understand our clients’ customers’ mindsets. The SVP of XD is accountable for developing, sharpening and expanding Bottle Rocket’s Connected Lifestyle strategy, thought leadership, craft, expertise, and methods.
The SVP of XD understands Bottle Rocket’s business as a whole—including finance, client success, business development, marketing, solution delivery, engineering, and talent development. As such, the SVP of XD understands how corporations work at senior leadership and board levels and has the attunement, presence, and command of business knowledge that enables preeminent problem identification and problem-solving.
The SVP of XD is an ally and confident with the Chief Revenue Officer and his Senior Vice President of Strategy, Design and Change Management. Together these leaders champion the integration of all Bottle Rocket competencies, functional resources and key partnerships for the purpose of growing Bottle Rocket’s business, modifying its business system in order to maintain earnings momentum, expanding the brand, increasing the relevance of go-to-market offerings, increases the probability of business sustainability and the continuous adaptation of Bottle Rocket’s culture to the ever-changing demands of the environment.
At the end of the day, the SVP of XD is measured on business results and securing and retaining top design talent.
• From a near-term perspective, value is measured in terms of quick wins, sales of new offerings, and inspired clients from the highest quality work delivered on our current market offerings. • From a midrange perspective, the value is measured by a measurable shift in client connections at the C-suite level and external connection points which translate into significant long-term contracts. • From a long-range perspective, the value is measured on innovations and impact of new services developed.
The SVP of XD’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Leadership of XD
• Execute expert design practices to products and services primarily in the digital space ◦ Ensure the quality of all work products ◦ Ensure work is consistent with company standards set by leaders ◦ Identify gaps in design competencies and secure and retain top design talent through hiring or partnerships ◦ Develop, maintain, and refine organizational design of XD department through competency management and effective development of XD management team ◦ Effectively manage project staffing, hiring and talent development of the XD department
Design Thinking Strategy
• Champion design thinking as a tool for digital and organizational transformation for Bottle Rocket’s clients and targets ◦ Facilitate design thinking rituals on an as needed basis ◦ Sponsor key training interventions for designers in the tools and techniques associated with design thinking
Connected Lifestyle Strategy
• Partner with the SVP of Corporate Strategy in identifying opportunities and gaps in our Connected Lifestyle Strategy. ◦ Champion the identification of new talent and partnerships to pull the Connected Lifestyle Strategy forward. ◦ Offer wise counsel and expert criticism on the Connected Lifestyle Strategy and its roadmap
The Ideal Candidate:
• Have 10+ years of experience in Strategy/Management Consulting/Agency and/or Digital Product Development as a design leader and people manager • Have strong communication, writing and presentation skills, particularly the ability to develop coherent arguments and present them concisely to a range of senior stakeholders • Have a track record of successfully managing complex cross-organizational and cross-functional projects and process and driving to results through influence • Be able to effectively balance multiple simultaneous priorities and deadlines with tight timelines
Undergraduate degree required. With a focus on engineering, design, mass communications or computer sciences. Graduate school a plus.