Goodwill Industries of Central Texas, Inc. Vice President of Workforce Advancement - (DS19026) in Austin, Texas
JOB TITLE: Vice President of Workforce Advancement
DIVISION: Workforce Advancement
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
COMPANY: Established in 1958, Goodwill Central Texas (GCT) is a non-profit organization that has transformed thousands of lives through the power of work. We are the leader in workforce development, one of the largest employers in our region, and a cornerstone of the community. Our mission is funded through our donation-driven retail stores, comprehensive business and staffing solutions, and generous community support. Our ten-year vision is to transform the lives of 100,000 Central Texans through work.
Goodwill is a longstanding social enterprise with the mission of generating lifelong connections to work within the community. GCT couples uniquely tailored social services supports and case management with an integrated business services model to provide more qualified, work-ready employees who help grow local business. GCT believes that job readiness, hard skills training, and education are the building blocks to a competitive Central Texas workforce.
Work. Empower. Transform. Join the team whose work empowers people to transform their lives. POSITION SUMMARY:
GCT’s strategic approach to workforce advancement ensures that individual programs, services, and trainings align with the needs of local employers. The Workforce Advancement Team is the first pillar of GCT’s services, and is the key point of entry for individuals who come to GCT seeking education, job readiness training, and support services including career case management. GCT targets individuals with unacceptably high levels of unemployment in our community; those with disabilities, those lacking skills and education, those facing homelessness, and those who have been involved in the criminal justice system. GCT served more than 15,000 individuals in 2016, and has a constant pipeline of people referred who are seeking employment-related services including job placement. Most individuals who come to GCT are not employed and are often entering the workforce for the first time after high school, military service, incarceration, recovery, or another life-altering circumstance. Therefore, case management, job readiness training, education and career training are the foundational pieces of Workforce Advancement and are available to all participants. Each element in this continuum of workforce development services stands alone as a best practice, but they also complement each other to comprehensively prepare the individual for permanent employment depending on the needs of the individual.
The VP of Workforce Advancement will lead a team that will execute a workforce model that creates the supply of qualified and job ready candidates that intersects with employer demand. The VP of Workforce Advancement will also closely collaborate with the VP of Business Solutions and VP of Education and Training teams to ensure alignment of programs/outcomes with local employer workforce needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Vice President of Workforce Advancement leads client service planning and execution, establishing a vision for community impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of employees. The VP will champion a business forward model in order to intersect the supply of qualified and job ready candidates with employer demand. This full circle model integrates a work advancement team who delivers holistic case management and programming, coupled with education, training, on-the-job training and temporary and permanent employment.
The VP will collaborate with the Business Solutions and Education and Training VPs and teams to ensure programs and outcomes are aligned with local employer workforce needs.
The VP protects and grows the brand utilizing brand guidelines and understands his/her role in enhancing the reputation of the Goodwill.
The VP is responsible for building trust in Goodwill and its relevance in the community. He/she values networking and strives to leverage the company’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
The VP successfully establishes and grows teamwork within the department and across departments to achieve Goodwill’s mission.
Key Skills and Behaviors
- Managing Vision and Innovation - Builds and sustains a core team of individuals who are linked to the success of Goodwill’s mission. Develops a vision that will motivate and guide staff to allot their time effectively and make high-quality decisions. Generates innovative solutions to client, business, and organizational needs and opportunities.
- Strategic Decision Making and Initiative - Obtains information and identifies key issues and relationships relevant to achieving goals or vision; commits to short and long-terms action plans to achieve annual and strategic goals by utilizing data, logical assumptions, available resources, opportunities, constraints, and organizational values.
- Observing and Making Good Judgments About People - After reasonable exposure, can articulate the strengths and limitations of people inside or outside the organization. Can accurately project what people are likely to do across a variety of situations. Challenges staff to exceed expectations and not to be satisfied with status quo.
- Managing Through Systems - Can design practices, processes, and procedures that allow management at multiple levels across wide territory. Relies on proven project management skills and techniques.
- Technical, Professional and Business Acumen – Proficient in a high level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeps up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise. Strives to make sure that team members remain technically current and proficient. Knows how the business works. Business acumen requires two key ingredients: A) Understanding the business in general and B) Understanding the business and industry specifics.
- Servant-Leader -The servant-leader will share power, put the needs of others first, and help people develop and perform at their highest possible levels.
The VP of Workforce Development is responsible for an overall staff of 100 and has direct supervisory responsibilities over the following: Manager of Intake Services, Director of Case Management, Director of Programs, Director of Job Readiness Training, Manager of Retention Services, and Manager of Grant Integration Services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Social Work, Psychology, Education, Public Health or other human services related field
- Experience in advancing non-profit and governmental workforce development and advancement initiatives
- Operations management experience and understanding of how to run a business enterprise
- 5+ years of executive level experience
- Experience working with marginalized individuals
- Budget responsibility experience of at least $5 million or more
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills
- Strong communication, listening, and public speaking skills
- Driver’s license, good driving record, liability insurance, and vehicle in good working condition to travel on work related business
- Experience leading a staffing agency or leading a team of 50
- Vocational education experience
- Member of a Workforce Development & Advancement Board
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution
- Executive leadership experience in a non-profit or philanthropic organization, overseeing multiple programs or contracts at an organization serving underserved individuals
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS: In addition to a complete application, the following is required for consideration; 1. Cover letter which addresses qualifications and responsibilities stated in the position description. 2. Current resume. 3. The names, phone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Job Requisition ID: DS19026
Job Title: Vice President of Workforce Advancement
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Austin, TX
Post Date: 09/15/2017